Thursday, July 5, 2012

Neil and Kay St. Clair

The fourth of July was exciting. I got to go visit my former college profesor at Howard Payne, Neil St Clair and his wife Kay. It was so cool to get to see him after several years. He has sold his lunch box collection and now is into collectable figurines and toys. He even has a couple of Pontiacs in the garage. a 1960 Pontiac Catalina and a Pontiac convertible I think it's a Lemans. Anyway it was a lot of fun to check out his collections. We enjoyed dinner at a local Pub and then Neil took me almost to the Tennessee border to check out the view. Apparently Asheville sits in a valley that is surrounded by mountains. From that vantage point you could see all of the mountains around the area. Then we went to the college where he works. Mars Hill College is a small liberal arts college that predates the civil war. It was originally a Baptist school, but now is independent. The Southern Appalachian Repertory Theatre is housed in the theatre at Mars Hill College in the Summer and they were preparing to open The Light in the Piazza July 5. Neil arranged for me to see the final dress rehearsal. It was a great show and I really enjoyed the intimacy of the theatre. I got a full tour of the theatre and his office. It's amazing his office looks just like it did in the 80's at Howard Payne! Neil didn't stay for the play since they are headed to Texas the next day.

1 comment:

Kay~ said...

Hey Daryl,
I just left the Asheville, Waynesville area on Tuesday. I spent a week visiting friends.
Have you made it to Sylva/Dilsboro yet? If not, you must try LuLu's in downtown Sylva. It was featured in the southern living magazine and is fabulous.

Also in downtown Asheville is the Early Girl Eatery and the French Broad Chocolate place. YUM!


I thoroughly enjoyed my trip. We whitewater rafter in the Nantahala Forest area and it was super fun.

So glad you are enjoying yourself!
Kay